PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Jury Finds Against MOD
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2004, 20:33
Sloppy Link

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I should clarify, volunteers for Porton Down in 1979 went for a period of two weeks. No extra leave was granted but a wrrant to a destination of your choice was on offer for the weekend that straddled the fortnight. Each experiment warranted a payment of 7s 6d (the figure was set prior to decimalisation) or 37.5p. At the time this was not considered much of an incentive so they got round it by stating that everything was an experiment....pulse taking=37.5p, temeperature=37.5p and so on. After a fortnight, I got about £50 but was taxed on this. I did do respirator/NBC suit perfomance trials under extreme physical exertion (bolloxed) and we took a series of tablets that were designed to replace the 4 horse tablet oxyemes. NAPS (sound familiar) they were called. After having our pupils photographed to show normal size, we were put in a nerve gas chamber for a measured amount of time and a measured dosage and then our pupils photographed again. I appeared to suffer more than my colleagues which,when it was revealed that I was the "control" experiment taking powdered milk tablets explained all. We also tested the Lion Alcometer (breath test machine used to replace the blow in the bag). Hammered at 1330 hours after the best part of a bottle of whiskey all in the interests of road safety!
Odstock, to south of Salisbury, however was a civilian common cold experimentation unit. Military volunteers were asked for and no leave was docked from your ticket but you were effectively in open jail as you were not allowed to leave the place for 14 straight days. Military volunteers were appreciated but in the words of one admin assistant who had to give a compulsory advertising blurb, the problem was we were too damn healthy! Odstock was satellite convalescence wards for RAF Odstock Military Hospital during the last war and was flattened about 10-15 years ago. It is now a housing estate.
Well organised and all open during my time there, no complaints. I feel for those that suffer but perhaps two things need looking at, firstly, the selection process/screening (there wasn't one) may have weeded the weaker personnel out and in the back of my mind, I think there is an element of gold digging by some and the MOD is always an easy target. I hope that I can be proved wrong.