PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf War MkI Press Association Video
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2004, 20:07
caligula

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK. I can answer questions about copyright / legal stuff on this. I am an ex-mil pilot with no vested interest - just a bit of local knowledge. The video which was originally referred to is in 2 halves - the first bit with Phil Collins, the second bit with Whitesnake. It was done by TVAM. Their archive library is now owned by 2 companies - one owns news footage, the other owns the rest. The second company has the original Phil Collins stuff in high quality format, which you could run copies from under licence for private use only. I do not know where the original of the Whitesnake stuff is.

I have made enquiries about the footage -it is available at commercial rates - 8 mins of the Phil collins stuff is going to be a minimum of £1500 plus VAT. The company claims to own copyright by virtue of owning the library, although I suspect that you could make a strong case that it ought to be Crown copyright. The music is a separate issue. I would suggest that if it is for private use only, don't ask questions you don't want to hear the answer to.

In summary, bottom line is that the Phil Collins stuff is available, but expensive. Making copies of it is not strictly legal, but unlikely to get you into trouble if only used privately, especially given that the company's claim to the footage is a little tenuous (taken by RAF aircrew from RAF jets). If somebody wants to go ahead with this, I can provide appropriate contact details - preferably not in a public forum.

On a separate note, I use this stuff for presentations from time to time. If anybody has a high quality version of the original stuff, I would very much like to get hold of it. I am happy to have copies professionally produced and suggest that fees just go to RAFBF. Please don't deluge with replies requesting copies again. If I get a sufficiently high quality version, I will post info on how to get copies.