PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coroner v CASA over 404 crash.
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2004, 17:59
P51D

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Putting aside this unfortunate accident, the removal of the RFFS came about at a time when the old Dept of Transport was dissected into FAC and CASA/AsA, with both the latter splitting up to be their own entities and self-funding - let's not go there for the time being, including Mr "affordable safety".

RFFS were removed from virtually all GA airports including town airports receiving scheduled RPT jet services e.g. Mt Isa, as was the tower service. My recollection of YPJT was that the industry did not want to pay for it and I'm sure there have been posts on this forum about this in the past.

If an emergency is declared the local service can attend (this happened just recently for a QF service into Isa with a brakes problem) but unless this happens nobody will get there in time to deal with a serious post-impact fire.

My view - unless this country stops the selfish user-pays approach where the big players will only pay for what they use and go back to an Australia wide network approach, forget about ever seeing RFFS in-situ at GA airports. The pollies will do all the usual pay-lip service type things but will hit a brickwall when the big end of town (int'l/dom airlines) get involved.