PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eating While Flying?
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2004, 08:55
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 442 Likes on 234 Posts
Curry can be a problem. The engineers don't like poppadum crumbs in the avionics and that last little bit of rice is difficult to pick up on the ILS without taking both hands off the controls.

I personally find roast turkey difficult, as it is't easy to get sufficient elbow room in most cockpits to carve the bird.

Peas and sprouts tend to roll off the plate in severe turbulence. Sweetcorn is better, as it will stay put at all but the highest yaw rates. Roast potatoes are best cut in half for the same reason.

Goujons of plaice are a good snack as they can be eaten without trouble during missed approaches, whilst retuning navaids etc. Do be careful with the tartare sauce as it can badly stain the letdown plates, especially Jeppesens, making them almost unreadable. Please use napkins for this purpose.

Pilots should take SMALL bites of food only. Too large a mouthful may require some food to be spat out before replying to ATC. This is very noticeable when a BA pilot speaks, he will often say "THE" as he spits out a piece of poached salmon or similar before announcing his callsign. Very unseemly in my opinion - this sort of thing should be prevented by suitable advice in the operations manual.

Finally, from my own personal experience, please take heed of the following Health and Safety Warning!

Ensure you have moved on from the consomme course before attempting aerobatics.