PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMA bus drivers with an ATC ticket!
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2004, 22:41
caniplaywithmadness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have to agree with Chillin on this one,

As the EGPF radar controller during all of this, I was rather busy handling a sequence of 6 coupled with a SVFR helicopter operating on the 23 approach with a cloud base of 1800ft.

NJE a clear number 1 on the inside (28 miles to run), BMA on outside (36 miles to run) similar speeds, the BMA maybe 20kts faster passing FL100 in the descent to 70. Had 2 more arrivals via LANAK and 2 via TRN.

On first call the BMA asks if he can accelerate!! I was busy co-ordinating descent with EGPH and sorting out the helicopter against one on the ILS, I say no and the guy just gets off for the rest of the approach, he wasn't delayed at all, got a 10 mile final for 23.

All credit to Chillin and the GLY controller for their presentation of the traffic to me ( I appreciated it guys)

It's a shame that a professional pilot would attempt to pressure me into perhaps making a rash decision and then compromising the safety of his and other aircraft under my control for the sake of landing maybe 2 minutes earlier. One of my less experienced colleagues may have attempted to get 2LN in ahead of the NJE which would not have been a good idea

If the frequency is busy then one would expect a professional pilot to realise that there is a lot of traffic in the area and we as controllers do not apply speed restrictions unless it is absolutely necessary.

The safety of YOUR AIRCRAFT and the safety of the AIRCRAFT AROUND YOU is our prime responsibility and WE WILL NOT BE PRESSURED INTO COMPROMISING IT.

Come and have a go on our simulators, you'll be made more than welcome and the perhaps you'll realise that you're not the only aircraft in the sky and just how difficult our job can be within the limited confines of the controlled airspace we deal with.