PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAL payscales
Thread: JAL payscales
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2004, 14:36
JB3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Sounds familiar?

Well I would have to agree whole heartedly with JapJok. I have lived in Japan now for almost 4 years. I came here from Europe with a completely open mind and all seemed to go well until completion of the line training. It was not until established on the line that things started to go south.

Part of the blame surely lies with our contractor. Although our contract specified a minimum of days off and so on, this was never the case. Also accomodation was extremely sub-standard and after engaging the company, the clauses of standard were then removed from the contract. How convenient. Then the company attacked our travel policy, living allowance and cut many things that had been put in writing and agreed upon. The rational for this was that there is a pilot surplus, thus we can chop at will until people decide not to re-sign their contract.

The contracting companies will never stand by their crew as they are more interested in making their monthly commission than rocking the boat.

As most are aware from these forums daily life is difficult in Japan as you are always an outsider. That does not preclude though good relations with your company. If you can integrate as much as possible your life will be more comfortable. The only problem is that from my experience the Japanese management consider all foreign workers as "SLAVES". We are to be used and abused at the discretion of the company. This kind of attitude will always cause undue stress. In my company the Captain is merely a seat warmer. Even low time (1000 hr) F/O's garner more respect than a "gaijin" 10,000hr skipper. If a Captain brings up a tech query it is noted and dealt with. If the same squark was then highlighted on the subsequent leg by the F/O it is mentioned endless times in the endless meetings as a job well done by said F/O in noticing a blade defect etc!!!

Most of the guys you fly with are sound although the practicle common sense is zero. It's SOP only. Don't think - thats the common flaw. Just do it by wrote.... idependant thought is discouraged even though we are pumped full of CRM.

The current situation across Japan company wide seems to be common. Air Japan and JEX CEO's are old friends and the policy is the same. Slash until people leave, then you have the best deal you can get on the "gaijin". Skynet and Skymark are the same. Its all headed downhill like a snowball fellas!

As for me I am hoping to be gone as soon as I can get out. The living conditions for any westerner are testing to say the least. Non - stop noise, audio cessnas and screaming cars in your parking lot at 0800 in the morning have taken their toll. This is for sure a short term job. For anyone considering a long term job, contract stability, lifestyle or the mental wellbeing of a family be warned. Avoid this like the plague.

Best of luck to those who dare...

The mail re the laughable JCAB is also spot on. They have created an image of terror in order to frighten people into compliance.

All checks, line monitors etc that I have ever had with the JCAB have all been with drop kicks from GA. All were ex CAC instructors or bookworms from the filing department with no idea what the hell is involved with an Air Transport Operation.

Most testing question seems to be how many volcanoes in Japan? On land and submerged no less! Wow whatta tuffy! Its lucky everything is done here by rehersal and regurgitation...

As for the racism that has been mentioned previously, it is always there. Look no further than the constant news and newspaper articles about the “foreign crime wave” here. The Mayor of Tokyo Shintaro Ishihara even makes regular public statements to the effect that all foreigners are "sneak thieves", whatever that means? Can you imagine Rudy Guiliani or a mayor from such a similar sized city as Tokyo espousing such racist comments as this? He would be out of a job the next day. It’s just run of the mill here…

Why do you think that the whole of Asia hates the Japanese? Perhaps the Prime Ministers constant prayer visits to the shrine at Yasukuni? The site of class A war criminals? They don\'t care... Japan is not part of Asia as I have often been told. They are all descended directly from the emperor who is himself descended directly from the gods no less!!

So gents, don\'t exect to feel a part of anything here. There are some lovely people to meet ,but, the reality is you are only ever going to be hired help with nothing to say.

If you can handle that then you are the ultimate door mat! Sign up as they are looking to fill the posts of those who have had it.