PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX "I CAN FlY"
Thread: CX "I CAN FlY"
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2004, 18:43
FlyingMoggy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey hey u gotta remember ::Joey::1985620 is asking if it would decrease his chance, i'm just trying to encourage him, sorry if it didn't sound that way

exactly as u say i come from an english speaking country, to say that english standards in HK meets ppl in UK, US, or AU would insult them, its like asking will chinese level ever be the same in AU even though many schools offer it as a subject? technicle english is taught in english class, but much more is learnt through other subjects and communication. ppl on the streets of HK don't talk in english a lot which is normal since english isn't their first language

while i was flying i've heard some other pilot request melbourne radar to repeat himself 4 times because he couldn't understand, in the end the radar guy even had to spell some words out for him, believe me the radar guys don't talk very friendly when u ask him to repeat a few times he will ask questions like "do you have a hearing problem can you understand me?" and hearing something like that in air is more discouraging, its harsh its fast, but 1 minute of indecision or not following tower radar instructions could lead to many deaths

as for discouraging, i didn't intend it, let me put an example, if you said to a football team "you'll win next time", that simple comment has a negative connotation implying the other team will lose next time but it wouldn't be intended, all i'm saying to ::Joey::1985620 is don't be discouraged, being overseas does have some advantages

"The main purpose of the interview is not to see how well you speak english, but to get an idea of who you really are."
thats true but only as far as the candidate being able to reply fluently to questions promted, after all the profession of pilots is an english only occupation.

Last edited by FlyingMoggy2; 3rd Nov 2004 at 19:38.