PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you rather have?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2004, 18:17
goaround7

I suppose an Mi8 is out of the question ?

I had the opportunity to check out the South African President's helicopter a few weeks ago when accompanying the military in our little 407 flying some less important minister.

We'd been sitting with the Air Force guys a while in the second Oryx (upgraded Puma for those who don't know) waiting until the Pres arrived. After all the shouting and screaming was over (and believe me there was a lot of it) and the bullet proof armoured limousines and other total wastes of tax payers' money disappeared into the dust (who'd want to shoot Thabo Mbeki ? Maybe Ghandi if he was still around ?), I asked the Colonel if I could take a peak inside the new arrival. With a quizzical look on his face he agreed. I trotted over and carefully opened the door to find...

...another perfectly ordinary Oryx. Hence the colonel's surprise at my interest. Apparently SA can't afford to have one its few remaining operational helicopters kitted out in VIP format so the second democratically elected president of the emancipated Republic of South Africa rides around on a canvas seat, in a standard (not very) sound proofed troop carrying helo. He does get issued with ear defenders though.

And exactly the same story for his predecessor; the one and only Saint Nelson Mandela used to ride around in exactly the same rather robust conditions. Suppose he was used to it after Robben Island but how come so much money was spend on a BBJ (or was it a freebie from Boeing for all those 737s and 747s SAA ordered ? Ha, ha, if so, sorry for you, all cancelled thanks to proverbial slippery French Airbus salespersons...) and nothing for a modest VIP chopper ?

We flew a 3 legged route and our ambitious pax wanted to ride leg 2 with the Pres so I fixed it with the Colonel. For leg 3, I was not surprised to him coming back to fly with us in air conditioned, leather luxury rather than rough it with the main man....

So, no airbags, no air con, not an SUV, certainly no anti-lock brakes, no leather and a rather dull paint job as well...Africa - not for sissies.