PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF contractors on probation
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2004, 12:08
Arm_Doors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QF contractors on probation

I know I'll get a flogging for this, but quite frankly I'm going to share what I've recently been advised.

Sometime ago, I mentioned in another thread that the 11 month contractors (of which I am one) may have some difficulty in striking as many of us will be in our probation period.

There were various views put forward on pprune as to the merits of striking and not striking and whether you could be dismissed or not if you participated in protected industrial action.

Well, I sought further legal advice from an experienced industrial lawyer and essentially he said that ordinarily, any employee who participates in protected legal action cannot be disciplined or dismissed from his/her workplace, providing its lawful participation. Whilst this isn't a problem for those that have been around for awhile it is a problem if the employer decides not to confirm the employment of any person who is currently subject to a probation period.

So, if you take too much sick leave, your not performing, you don't fit within the company culture, you go on strike, you step out of line in the first 6 months they can let you go. There doesn't have to be a particular reason or "counselling process". That's the whole point of having a probation period apparently.

Now, I'm not advocating to work or not work during any strike that may or may not occur. However, at least you have some further information to consider if the time actually comes when you have to make your decision.

For those who will definately strike, please also bear the above in mind when some people feel they have no choice but to work during the strike. The company has been very astute in positioning its fixed term staff into no win situation. Its a crappy situation, so please don't take it out on those who have been "set up", take it out on the company.