PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Are TheFACTS? - Cathay
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2004, 23:38
mysector?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info...

Have been looking at the Cathay situation with some interest....

Every time I get close to applying I re-read the "myth conceptions" about Cathay in the general Wannabe forum.

Would anyone care to comment on the current state of play?

It is very tempting indeed to get out there - but if company/HK/China future turns out to be anything but the expected stratospheric rise do you forsee the day where a letter drops through you letterbox from the boss saying

"we have reviewed our nightly allowance/educational allowance/housing allowance (delete as approp.) and effective 01 Apr 0? it is to be halved/discontinued......"

Without the protections we enjoy in the "West" (Europe at least, and for the time being), I don't think that it is outside the realms of possibility that T's & C's could be halved overnight.

On the subject of allowances - are you really given approx $100US per night when you are away? Is there a flying hour rate also?

Where do guys that leave Cathay go? Where do Cathay guys want to go when they complain about their lot in HK?

I know it has been touched on before guys - but do you see the retirement age going up in the near future? What are the demographics like amongst the flight crew community - ie many retirements forecast for the foreseable? In my lot things will stagnate for years and years very soon.......is time to command expected to remain pretty rapid (8-10yrs) from joining? If you join as an SO are you defineatley on the master seniority list, or can you be bypassed?

Look forward to hearing your opinions. Dread the "perform search function" comments.

Cheers

(Spilt off and moved here for responses from CX employees rhather than Wannabes - BE).

Last edited by BlueEagle; 29th Oct 2004 at 04:28.