PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA-trained(?) PPLs
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 1999, 23:05
BEagle

Wink

Well, actually, yes. In 8000 hours of flying over the last 23 years I've done a fair bit of flying in the US - from 80 KIAS at 1000ft to M0.92 at 51000ft - and it's very, very, easy because of the level of spoon-feeding involved. But please note the difference between your own pure handling skills and the quality of instruction you were given. The 2 PPLs I flew with seem to have achieved their apallingly minimal prowess by virtually teaching themselves rather than by benefiting from a properly structured training programme. It was once described to me that the teaching in Spam-land is to do exercises 1-13 13 times rather than sequentially. And don't think that the level of yack on the radio is indicative of 'difficult' flying conditions - it just means that you get told what to do rather than learning to think for yourself! And that includes those pathetic folk who waffle up and down the East coast of Florida in desperately clapped-out C152s (oh yes they damn well are!!) thinking that fly North-keep the coast on the left, wait 1 1/2 hours, fly a 30 deg banked turn to the right (watch the G girls), fly South-keep the coast on the right, wait another 1 1/2 hours then land is a sound way of developing airmanship (probably a term never heard of in Spam-schools).
(Back into the bunker!!)