PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA-trained(?) PPLs
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 1999, 16:21
BEagle

Angry USA-trained(?) PPLs

I've recently had the misfortune of doing conversion-onto-type training for a couple of so-called USA trained PPLs, 1 of whom purported to have done the JAR PPL(A). At the risk of being accused of xenophobic generalities, I have to say that, if these 2 (from different schools) are typical products of the cheap and nasty USA training schools, then, despite the squeals of outrage from Ailing Bob, the CAA should insist on a total stop to USA-based training for ANY parts of JAR licences. The standard of piloting skill varied from bad to appalling; neither 'pilot' had ever heard of selecting, holding and trimming attitudes - and when I asked them how they were taught to correct errors on the approach, I was faced with blank looks. Yes, PPL training in this country is more expensive - but at least UK-trained pilots seem to be taught proper handling skills!! The leaden hand of Eurocracy must be moderated to ensure that we give new pilots their core competence in Europe and not at the hands of some so-called flight school in the land of Uncle Spam!!
(Excuse me - just off to the nuclear bunker!)