PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working a day off in EK
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2004, 07:52
Dune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dungfunnel:

I appreciate your input and thought you made some very good points.

I am personally envious that you are in an airline at home (as many other career pilots are throughout the world) where you enjoy the job and feel you are being fairly rewarded for your efforts. I felt like that when I joined Emirates years ago (I liked both the place and the job, hence the reason I came) but the past few years of crap have sure changed my mind about this place and this job (hence the reason I am potentially looking elsewhere). I think you guys need to cut him a little slack; I wish I felt the same working at EK as he does for his airline. I think we all wish we felt the same about our respective employer and position, irrespective of whom you work for.

desert_knight

You my friend have little credibility on this site. We have no idea what sort of "management" you pretend to be, which department you pretend to be involved with or if you even have a basic knowledge of flight operations. Please enlighten us as to your position, your contract and the cuts to your pay and working conditions you have experienced over the past 3 years (since I feel it is important we share the pain together) and your credibility might improve.

As to your comment; "you just don't ned to rant and rave to the world about how hard done by you think are" (by the way, direct cut and paste of your post; suggest you "management" types invest in an English course and a spell checker)" you need to understand (which you would if you worked in flt ops as it is common knowledge amongst not only the pilots by all management types) that our EVPE&O has severed all forms of communication with us other than through written Flight Crew Notices. He does not have the courage or the ability to "manage"; to address his employees in an open forum of discussion and explain why this is taking place. And since we do not have a union or any form of credible upper management to voice our concerns to (that they in turn might present to the EVPE&O for consideration), this forum is the only source we have. It is not rant, it is a way for us to discuss subjects of a critical nature to our employment with this company and at the same time let the rest of the aviation community know what is behind the shiny veneer that is called a flying job with Emirates.

To those of you who are not pilots and who sit and read these threads, please remember pilots deal with facts. They are trained over many years of experience to react to situations as they develop. They do not operate well in a vacuum, they need facts to deal with problems. The term used is "situational awareness" and to a pilot there is nothing more disconcerting than having things going on around him in the aircraft that he either does not understand (because he doesn't have all the facts to allow him to understand what is happening) or actions that are out of his control (and therefore he is unable to react to the situation). Hence you will see a common theme in almost every comment from a pilot; a need to know what is going on (to understand fully the facts) and a need to do something about it. That is what all this "ranting" is about as information is not being passed from the company to us. Emirates pilots are trying to share as much information as possible to develop a picture of what is happening around them and then to do something about it.

The "do something about it" might take many different forms. Some might result in career moves to other airlines, some might result in attempts to mitigate the damage caused by the changes (for example, now that many flight duties are not to be credited (such as deadheading or min credit for short flights) would it not make sense to fly as fast as you can (to hell with the fuel burn) to try to limit the amount of time you have to work for free? Of course I would never suggest this ), some might be attempts at structural reform (such as dissuading new f/o's from coming, thereby putting "personnel" pressure on flt ops as it tries to expand), and some might just be vengeful backlash.

Bottom line is pilots are not trained to sit on their hands and do nothing and they WILL react.

ahmedette

Thanks for the info; was putting my post to DK together and didn't see your info. Makes it clear now.

Last edited by Dune; 27th Oct 2004 at 10:01.