PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working a day off in EK
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2004, 07:24
crapflying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone,

To answer a question about labour laws, I have it in black and white from my solicitor, prior to leaving home to come to Dubai. I am protected by my country's laws since UAE does not have labour laws. There have been cases even in Emirates, and in all cases the employee has won. It does help if Emirates flys to your own country, as you can force them to pay up then...
In a recent case a DEC from a US company was fired, and he has since taken Emirates to court for unlawfull termination of contract. He will probably win the case as the US courts will apply the US labour laws.
T&Cs in Emirates cannot be compared with T&Cs in other major carriers, for many reasons. Emirates salaries to begin with, even with all company accomadation, school fees etc, does not compare to salaries paid in the major carriers of the world. If you look at the American carriers, they make 3 times what we do, and they have a pension in the end and not just a provident fund. If you look in Europe BA, Airfrance, etc, they have double our salaries and a pension in the end. Even with all the cuts in place in Europe and the US it still comes down to more money for them, compared to what we make.
Emirates at present, and in the past has been making profits, so there is no need to lower T&Cs in anticipation of hard times ahead. In the same thinking, we should get a pay rise in anticipation of good times ahead. The other carriers are in the red, big time so they need to do something to survive. Emirates on the other hand is a growing airline with lots of cash in hand, and big profits despite of all the current problems, exactly because it has a lower cost base.
Should management decide to save money, they could do it in areas of operation, fuel policy which is non existant (I do not meen cost index and tankering) but rather operational practices such as APU usage, starting engines, etc... Utilization of A/C in a better way and many other things.
I just believe that some idiot in the office thinking in a very amateur way decided to take a swing at pilots T&Cs just to satisfy his bosses that he is doing something. If he did not do this he would have to actualy work and think of how to minimize costs the real way, which does require actualy for them to earn their living.
What we can do is nothing, because there is no unity. Just enjoy the weather and the golf or sailing you do.
I am sure though that what management have not quantified is good will, as this cannot be quatified, but hey I am just a pilot, so what do I know?
Cheers