PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unrecognisable RAF
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2004, 07:15
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
AWIW, I agree one hundred percent about the two year tours. If a jobs is worth doing 'for my promotion' it must be done (but not dusted) before I am posted.

Only after I am posted does the next poor sod have to dust it and see if it works. If it takes 5 years then tough on the guy in the middle.

Had one boss, now dead as he hit a hill in a Herc, he took over as SLOPS after his predecessor, a professional ops officer I was told, had designed the new Ops block. He did not even check the progress of the building as it was not scheduled to be ready before his tourex.

Come the day, under a new Slops, we went in to our brand new building. Briefing room, self-briefing room, coffee bar. Brilliant. Only one snag. No Ops Room. Ops was in a wide corridor between Admin and Comcen.

The new Slops naturally go the credit for my colleague who designed and the carpenter who built an Ops room, two walls, doors, three desks, ops boards, the lot all in two weeks.

And I bet you have been there. This was 20 years ago.