PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Ambulance rescue (Now incl post by the Paramedic - 9/11)
Old 27th Oct 2004, 03:57
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HH,
I dont understand what the dangers are anyway.
What is the danger of doing a hover exit? They are routine.
What is the danger of doing a hover entry? Also routine.
The danger of "rear rotor failure" is negligable over the time it would affect this scenario.
The danger of engine is negligable over the time it would affect this scenario.
The probability of serious injury or death resulting from the almost impossibility of an engine failure/tailrotor failure is remote in itself.
The BO105 is a very controllable helicopter due to its rotorhead.

The danger of being swept away whilst wading out, and having to face all the perils of a swift water rescue is NOT negligable.

So again I have to ask: what dangers are you concerned about?

Just in case you think that hover exits/entries are dangerous (because they look like fun), both procedures are so straight forward I once had a kid (as in young goat) succesfully conduct a hover entry behind the bloke we were picking up out of the bush!! If a goat can do it with no OH&S approved 4 day course, I'm thinking it is not rocket science to any human being. But apparently you know something the goat and I dont...............

PS: I think you forgot to question the lack of hearing protection on the patient. How could you have missed such an obvious peril?