PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JetStar Blues
Thread: JetStar Blues
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2004, 02:36
Flying Tiger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta say, unfortunately I can't agree with you Zarg.

Many's the time I've been on an aircraft that's been delayed by a late passenger, or been in the check in queue only to see people called up to the front of line just minutes prior to departure. In fact I have friends who deliberately arrive at the airport just prior to the close of the flight as they know they'll be called up.

Its always amazed me that the airline would rather pander to the single late customer, thereby inconveniencing the overwhelming majority who make it on time. Why should the rest of the passengers suffer the delay caused by a latecomer?
In fact I am staggered that JetStar hasn't focussed on the positives of this policy (ie taking care of the majority rather than the minority) in their advertising. After all, they are the only airline that does it.

In attempting to alleviate this JetStar and other low cost carriers overseas have adopted a check in cutoff. You can't account for every situation (delays etc), so I guess you draw the line in the sand somewhere.

The upside is that you get what you pay for. Check in cutoff times, non-changeable tickets and use it or lose it fares, etc, all reduce costs and hence provide the airline with a greater ability to provide affordable fares for everyone.

As has been mentioned elsewhere in this topic, if you want flexibiity and a more compassionate attitude to being late, fly another airline where I'm sure you will pay a small premium for the privilege.

Regards.

FT.