PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unrecognisable RAF
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2004, 16:44
Whipping Boy's SATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still quite like the RAF. It may be different to the one I joined almost 20 years ago but I suspect the kids of today are more aware of what it is all about than I was in 1985. In fact, I can see the 'attraction' of OOA dets etc. However, this is not the RAF that I joined and it has been a bit of a culture shock changing from Fortress Germany to Expeditionary ops.

I will leave in 2 years time. I cannot complain as I have achieved much. There is no bitterness or anger, merely a feeling of tiredness and a need to move on.

To those that have just joined, or are considering joining, good luck. The RAF is still what you make of it. In many respects, it may offer more family stability as we draw down to a relatively small number of bases.

Finally, I echo some of the previous comments. As a 19 yr old pilot officer in Germany on my first tour, I was told by an experienced flt lt "Don't hang around son, it isn't the RAF I joined". He was most probably right but I did hang around and I did enjoy it. Let's not get too negative about change; I think those of us who have had exposure to life outside the services would acknowledge that we are surrounded in uncertainty.