PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Australia Interviews - Anyone heard back yet?
Old 25th Oct 2004, 05:29
Galley Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey...

Working full time/permanent for NJS/QantasLink, like myself, my friend went for the Qantas interviews.

She found out recently that she was offered a position, but found out to start a ground school only a few days from the phone call (on a Sunday).

With only a few days notice, she said she was not interested, as firstly any normal job requires four weeks notice (like ours). In addition, obviously she found out that she'll need to be on standby constantly and may be required to work during 'a strike'.

I'm pleased to see her refuse this to Qantas, and she has now been put on a 6 month 'wait list' for a full time position. Why give up a great deal that she has? Smart girl.

Good on her and others that 'give it' to Qantas... Unfortunately there are people out there who are 'desparate to be a flight attendant' (as a newspaper article put it), and would be a strike breaker no matter what.

I understand why people would want the job, but like some of the posts have said, just try for other airlines, including my company. By being a strike breaker in this situation, you would refuse yourself a job later in future if Qantas gets their way, and the only way they wont is if the strikes do work.

And is it true to my understanding/rumour/and common sense that Qantas will discard the crew helping during the strike once this whole thing blows over? Not to mention their chances of flying with Qantas again are more or less not possible, due to being known to be a scab.

Understand what you're doing. Don't stuff up years of award bargaining, as it'll be your loss in the future for sure. Good luck.

Last edited by Galley Power; 25th Oct 2004 at 09:57.