PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checklists! when, where is there overkill?
Old 24th Oct 2004, 12:28
bush pelican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel to be or not to be

The first problem with checklists is what to include and what to leave out. The second problem is, if I have a checklist, when should I use it and when is it a waste of time, money, unnecessary or I have the experience not to need it etc?
The normal proceedures section of the PA-31 POH is 27 pages long. The checklist section is about 10 pages. Much of it should be ‘standard operating proceedure’ for a competent commercial pilot. How I solve the problem is as follows:

With whatever aircraft I fly I ask myself the question, ‘what are the absolutely essential actions that I must know or take for a particular phase of flight, to ensure that if I have a memory lapse or a distraction, I will not damage the passengers, myself, or the aircraft?

As an example , following is a minimum checklist for TO and Landing which will work to prevent the unimaginable from happening in most circumstances.

TAKE-OFF.
Brakes: off & checked.
Controls: free & correct
Hatches & Harnesses / Pax.
Fuel & Flaps.
Trim set.
ENGINE FAILURE?

LANDING.
Prop & Mixture.
Undercarriage: confirmed down.
Fuel & Flaps.
Trim & Brakes checked.

It isn’t much really, but if you think about it and the implications, and ALWAYS do AT LEAST these things in whatever you fly in GA, a happy future will be yours.
BP