PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can a PPL(A) check out an Instructor?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2002, 11:32
Quarternion.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Can a PPL(A) check out an Instructor?

I've been asked by a friend to be a safety pilot / checkout pilot in his private aircraft group, the aircraft is a C172.

The aircraft group has about 12 people some of which fly infrequently, but are keen pilots. The group has no access to an instructor and the insurance of the group forbids them to check each other out as it does not allow normal PPL licence holders to sit in the right hand seat unless they are instructors. So when the 90 day rule comes up, the pilot has to fly solo or find an instructor.

As an instructor I have been asked to help out. My problem is that I have not flown this type P1 for over 5 years. I would be perfectly legal to jump straight into the Right Hand Seat, but common sense and good airmanship points to a checkout, at least just to be safe.

So the question is... Can one of the group's PPL holders who is current check me out on this type with him sitting in the Left hand seat and me in the right?

What would I log this flight as?
Would it be correct to log the PPL as P1 and the Instructor (me) as P1/S. The PPL signing the Instructor off as 'current on type'?

Would appreciate advice on this matter.