PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working a day off in EK
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2004, 18:15
Cerberus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its Paul who got robbed to pay Peter (who was then mugged)!! Some of the lucky junior TRIs might be better off. Line pilots and anyone carrying out an extra duty outside the training department will be significantly worse off. Excuse me if my numbers below are not totally accurate but I don't think they are far off.

At first sight, it sees to me that junior TRIs will be better off if they carry out the 12 rostered training duties in a month. They may even have a chance of overtime if they are worked hard. Nice Deal!! Maybe....

But on the other foot a CRM mate / Recruiter will earn about the same as before and have no chance of overtime. If they did 2 weeks work recruiting, they would have to do 106 hrs credit (78 block) before making any overtime. But...if they didn't recruit they would get paid the same amount of cash if they did one days extra work and flew to Istanbul. Not such a nice deal... seems the incentive to work in the office is now non-existant.

Overall though, if you have say 42 days leave, 10 training days, 30 hrs dead heading and 10 standbys/year. Under the old system that would have added up to about 205 hrs of credit. The reduction in overtime trigger off-sets about 76 hrs. So every pilot loses about 130hrs of potential overtime/year i.e. 52k/yr for Captains and 37k for F/Os.

So maybe the TRIs won't be better off after all. Training pay adds up to 60k per year which for a guy on about 28k/month would be about 20k or so more than now, but you would have to do an extra 11hrs/ month or 4300/month for free before getting overtime.

Even the call out pay is a dicey, it says that you get it if you work a day off and don't get given another day off. Lets say that you have a great flight, that you want to do. You do the company a favour by working an off day and then to avoid the call out payment they cancel the great flight for you and give it to a mate on reserve (who is short of block time).

It isn't cost neutral at all. The company has increased the Training pay of a proportion of the trainers (though the more senior will lose out) and saved a hell of a lot of cash. Interestingly, for overtime, if you are the sort of guy that takes 28 days leave straight in one month, you will be better off than the mate that takes 4 days off here and there. Does that hurt the commuters?!?

So overall, a brilliant strategy by management. The company saves money and we all work harder. BG and KC, individuals may be better off in the short term but it seems that the pilot group contract has just taken about a 15% pay cut for the same amount of work. Correct me if I am wrong!!

Cerberus

P.S Stator - Flight Crew Notice

Last edited by Cerberus; 22nd Oct 2004 at 18:28.