PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checklists! when, where is there overkill?
Old 22nd Oct 2004, 11:38
helldog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several points to make here, although I have not read all posts on this thread, so feel free to cut me down.

- I notice some people think you have to check things like throttle friction I dont think stuff like that should even be on check lists. Along with things like Seats-Adjusted, Harness-Adjusted and secure. If you need to be reminded to put on your belt you should not be in a plane. These are all personal comfort/safety things which should be automatic.

-If you fly the same bus everyday, you end up knowing the thing inside out, so I think it is acceptable to discard the checklist once you know it by heart. You have to be very crefull though if you fly different types on a regular basis.

- I also agree that if you go through every item every time you start up in many cases you will not have time to complete the flying for the day. If you have 14 legs in one day with loading, unloading etc, you just dont have time, you must however KNOW your checklist and DO the checks.

But as people have said here if you like to use it or need to use a checklist, dont let anyone stop you.

If you fly for a living and your boss does not mind you burning an extra 10 minutes of fuel on every leg to run through your checklist step by step, well go right ahead.

To answer the original question, YES sometimes there is an overkill with checklists. Seat-Adjusted and Secure please. Sit in the bloody thing, if it feels wrong adjust the bugger, you dont have to wait until it comes up in the checklist to get yourself comfortable.