PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Near miss" over Joburg 22/10/04?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2004, 08:30
RUDAS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "Near miss" over Joburg 22/10/04?

Hi everyone.
Was driving in my car at 08:50 this morning and heard a guy who sounded pretty shaken up phoning up radio 702 and saying he just saw a "near miss" over Fourways,JHB, between what he said was a Lufthansa 744 and an SAA acft.He reckons the two acft converged,then one of them "veered" (sic) off to avoid a collision which he claims was imminent.Another guy also phoned and said he saw it too.Both acknowledged they had no aviation knowledge at all.

Now i know LH 572 comes in about that time,and SAA has a lot of incoming europe flights too,but i'm highly skeptical that this was in any way a "near miss".I know the Joburg ATCs well and they're amongst the most professional in the world,so i seriously doubt something like this would ever be allowed to happen in the JNB TMA.

Sounds to me like they were on Lanseria and Hartbees arrivals,parallell,and one got vectors off the STAR,hence the "veering",but did anyone else hear about this too?

Sounds very much like the usual public ignorance and a bit of dramatisation brought on by a lack of knowledge of what really goes on,but still,its a pretty serious thing to claim.

Anyone else know if this may be true?