PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas to call crew bluff on 'sick-out'
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2004, 01:50
U2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that one thing that all parties must appreciate is that Australians don't really want to pay for first class travel (GENERALLY). By increasing LCC we have increased the customer base and affordabliltym therby reducing first class passengers.

However, in Asia, where people dress up just to go down to the local mini-mart, many people who can afford to fly will pay extra to get a premium service. Additionally, they also prefer to fly national or Asian carriers. Additionally, labour is much cheaper than in OZ.

The point that I'm trying to make is that I don't think that QF longhaul, in its current form will be competitive in the premuium service market, especially in Asia.

To see this we only have to look at how QF have set up Australian to service the Japan region and soon to be JETSTAR Asia to be the LCC model.

What the F/A must appreciate is that the service that they used to provide is no longer economically desired.

i.e Australian (GENERALLY) don't want to pay a high price for a premium service they don't really want. We are happy to fly VB or Jetstar, so long as we get there safely.

In saying this the flight attendants must realise that to keep their jobs and pay they need to win as one. From reading other posts here it is a obvious that if they fracture or fall they are going to be screwed.

"United you prosper, divided you lose."

I'm sticking my neck out here, but I'll accepted any criticism.

U2