Old 20th Oct 2004, 04:59
Left2primary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This information a cut and paste from the International FAAA-
Please do not reply to this email. Send all correspondence to [email protected]

October 20, 2004

Attention: All Qantas Long Haul Flight Attendants

A DREAM SHATTERED

Reprinted below is a letter received by the FAAA from a fixed term flight attendant that needs no further comment.

I would like to become a member of the FAAA after my colleagues and I from one the Qantas Flight Attendant training classes attended a meeting with you.

It has been a long time dream of mine to become a flight attendant and what an honour it was at the beginning to be accepted for training into Qantas, the leading airline in the world. But my thoughts have changed and frankly I am scared of the unknown situation that has presented itself to me.

I was given a contract for a three months fixed term for training under the proviso that I not have any other employment during this time. Three months isn't long but I thought ok – I've got my foot in the door and there may be a chance of maybe getting a full time position if I pass all the training. But at that stage, I was unaware of what Qantas' intentions were.

Therefore I agreed, I was in a group of wonderful people. We all trained so hard, as this was our dream and we wanted it so badly even with training at ridiculous hours.

During our time of training, there were lots of rumours, for instance that we were only being trained just in case of a strike from the full time flight attendants. We were given instructions about confidentiality and not to give any information to anyone about what we are being trained for. Our EP instructors were excellent teachers but they had no information for us – there were also rumours that we could be offered full time positions in London but whoever we asked we hit a brick wall and no one could tell us anything of what was going on.

To tell you the truth, “the xxxx hit the fan” on our last day of training. All the ones in our group that had passed the training exams were so excited to learn that we were now going to get fitted for our Qantas International Uniforms. To our disgust we were fitted with King Gee pants and a polo top. We wondered why they were treating us differently after all the intense physically draining intense training we had just completed and passed. We thought that the Qantas image was professional and corporate and something to be proud to wear but what we were fitted for was of a very poor dress standard.

Then a few of us were given contracts again – stating that we were not guaranteed fixed term – three months. And would be given four weeks notice of termination. People in my group were so mad, some of us giving up full time positions for a chance to become a Qantas International Flight Attendant.

I am totally and utterly disgusted in how Qantas is treating us – they don't seem to want us to become first class flight attendants – they just want us as back-up if the strike goes ahead. This is shattering news as we are after full time positions not just for a week or two and then left out in the cold with no job and no security

What really made me scared – if there is a strike we were told that we would not be flying with professional flight attendants? We “strike-breakers” would fly together and how dangerous does that sound. We were told that we could be working in all areas – first class, business and economy. Personally if I were a passenger who paid for a first class ticket I would expect first class service, not a person who has minimal training of only eleven days. I passed the crash course but I would have been happy to train for longer as to benefit the service and safety of the passengers I would be entrusted to serve. Experience is gained from working with other more experienced people and not literally chucked in at the deep end as they were implying we would be doing.

Our training group is scared that we are becoming the meat in the sandwich of this whole affair. What is going to happen to us? We want to become flight attendants and no one will answer our questions! The most information we received was only on our last day of training and it only feels like the only people we can trust is the FAAA and ourselves.

Therefore please find the following completed application forms for my membership with the Flight Attendant Association Australia .

Yours sincerely,

xxxx xxxx

This newsletter was written and authorised by
Michael Mijatov, Divisional Secretary - International

-------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that {some?} QFs Bangkok based flight attendants are being given 2 day courses entitled , "How To Be A CSM In Three Easy Steps".

The last I heard this training was 5 Weeks, intensive and MERIT based.

It'll be interesting to see how many Captains are prepared to operate in this environment.

Safety????????????
The people running Qantas clearly couldnt give a rats.

L2P "S.T.R."