PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF training
Thread: QF training
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2004, 07:51
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geez you guys make QF sound more like the Asian airlines (with their associated cultures) than the great Ozzie one - the pre'89 Ansett - that I've worked for.

In Asia, the Captain is ALWAYS called "Captain", regardless of where you are....on a day off on the train...having a social drink or meal with the crew, and regardless of asking them to PLEASE call you "M".
"Yes Captain", is the reply!

This was NEVER the case in Ansett, and it NEVER affected the position of the Captain at work, nor caused any erosion of his authority.

I can imagine, however, that with Oz culture being what it is, HAVING to refer to the Captain as "Captain" may well work AGAINST creating a comfortable working environment, and might inhibit the flow of some information to/from the cockpit.

I have occasionally done the same thing (here in Asia) on the crew bus that transports us to/from the hotels on stay patterns, Longhauler, and it's interesting to watch the CC's reactions.
Generally it's firstly one of confusion, but then they make 1 of 2 decisions, either -
1) Because the Captain is seated at the back of the 'bus, they must also sit in order of reverse seniority, with the most junior seated in the front seat (where the Captain usuallly sits), or,
2) They must still sit in order of seniority, with the most senior occupying the front seat.

If one understands Asian culture, then you accept that this is the way it is, and they are uncomfortable being asked to do it any other way.
But in Australia??!!!
It certainly seems to go AGAINST the western concept of practices encouraged to instil a favourable CRM environment, imo.