PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHL rejects Belgian demand for less noisy planes (Merged)
Old 18th Oct 2004, 13:18
RampTramp

Still Trampin' the Ramp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tgdxb,

Just to respond to your comments in order to give a balance -

'- DHL is veyr much Flemish oriented.'
The company is based in a Flemish commune & is no more language orientated that any other company in Flanders or Walonia.

'- Why not go to Leipzig? I am sure the very ecological German gvt will welcome it.'
Actually they do as they see the employment potential.

'- I do not think we need DHL at Brussels airport'
Maybe you don't but the 2000 direct and up to 5000 indirect jobholders might disagree with you. Don't forget that DHL pays for the facilities at BRU as does any other operator and if their contributions were withdrawn, then the airport would, to a certain extent, stagnate, thereby reducing the service levels for all other operators and passengers. The other alternative would be to raise fees and make flying even more expensive when you want to go on holiday.

'- We do not need the sort of jobs offered by DHL are good for the quality of family life of its (night shift) employees'
Actually, a lot of the employees like working night shift and do it through choice.

'- I have been living here for 18 years and I have not been suffering from DHL's night flights before. So something must have changed.'
As has been quoted in earlier posts, DHL has spent a lot of money in replacing it's fleet with quieter aircraft. The only thing that has changed are the government imposed departure procedures.

RT