PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA cabin crews' futures
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2004, 10:43
Hubbly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello again......

I already stated that BA is a profitable airline. Despite the apparent downturn in the industry, BA still manages to turn in millions os pounds.....over 200 million IN PROFIT for the last quater!! I am not basing this off of lies.

Like many companies BA ran it's pension scheme through the stock market. When the conditions on the stock markets changed, so did the misfortunes of all those who put their faith in the BA pension schemes. This is the story for many people right across the country working for many different companies. The one good thing BA staff can count on is that they at least will get a return from their pensions. I can't help but think of all those other people who've been fleeced by their companies for their pensions. I know the return will not necessarily be that which we expected, or which we have contributed for so long. BA staff members are fully aware of this situatin, an many are actively trying to counter this issue.

On the point of CC being an unskilled job, I have had this argument with Flight crews for quite some time. BA has a base requirement for their CC's to have a minimum GCSE pass rate at level C (english and maths). The byproduct of this is that you will not get unskilled/uneducated CC's. You will invariably get crews which have some life/job experience which is skilled. Once you have passed the initial 5 week training course you come out with Basic first Aid skills. You come out with the Skills to operate on an various A/C types. Basic though they may be, these are skills nonetheless.

Like others have mentioned in this forum, far from being just "checkout staff from tesco's"(as a previous airline CEO stated) many crews are more qualified than their managers/directors. We choose to do this job because it is something that we love doing. I myself am constantly asked why I am doing such a "lowly" job, compared to what I have done previously....my answer is simple...."because I love it".

The perception of many of the public is that role of cabin crew is nothing more than an overglorified waiter. We as crew take offence to this. My argument with Flight crew has been the same. We all know that their job is a skilled one...they fly the A/C...simple. How can the job of those working behind them and dealing with all the passengers not be a skilled one? Okay if it is not a skill...then let's at least call it an art form....I personally think it is magic how we manage to get through some days with all the stress and hassle that we have to go through, just to get people from A to B.

Flying getting cheaper? That would be the perception I suppose, but I do not think it is any cheaper than it has been before. In 1995 a ticket to Amsterdam cost £63+tax. Today a Tkt to AMS costo £75+tax(on average). Costs may be rising.....I can believe that argument more.......The industry has changed. WIth the mass arrival of low cost carriers(perhaps this is what you mean by cheaper), the European market has become more competitive. To combat this, the Airlines have cheapened themselves. They have changed their onboard services, increased their frequency etc. It is the perception of BA that they have to compete with these low cost carriers. Having spoken to numerous passengers, it is my belief and theirs that BA does not have to compete with these low cost carriers. Pax choose BA for their name and their service and quality. Pax choose the low cost carriers for their "apparent cheap prices". I say apparent because their low costs only apply to certain flights and they are more often than not selling tkts at a higher cost than BA ( I have personal experience of this). So on the argument of flying getting cheaper, I am not so convinced. BA has it's knickers in an twist about the low cost carriers...that I can tell you. I don't know why...they have had experience of them since the days of LAKER. I ahve recently see in the BA news that mgmnt have realised that they do not need to compete against low cost carriers. BA knows their client base and are happy with their position in the market. In response to this argument...all I have to say, is action speak louder than words. Bring back good service, and stop making shortcuts. This will keep the client base happy.

I'm off the soap box now........comments are greatly accepted.

Jerry and johnnydee.......

Let\'s not get too condescending to all the CC on this site. I appreciate your opinion, it does make for an enlightening discussion, but to compare tesco\'s staff training to CC is way off the scale.

In your far reaching opinions, do you both consider office staff to be skilled becuase they use a keyboard...look on that samejob application form and you will see that it mentions that Clerical staff are skilled!! This means that our ground staff must also be skilled!!

Skilled/unskilled, it\'s all a point of conjecture. To deal with people effectively is a skill...for which we are trained might I add. Training denotes that you have some sort of skill at the end of it. Should you pass......

Regarding your example of putting a teabag/coffebag into a teapot.......I think that is a bit base!! Crew do far more than that. Perhaps you want to raise the hackles of those that are replying on this forum. Maybe that is your experience of crew.....I suggest that you relook at the role of CC more carefully. Ask most flight crew just to operate a bev maker (I\'m keeping my comments to level that you made yours) and you\'ll see just how little they know, outside the skills which they have been trained for.

Passenger airlines DO NOT work without the skills of BOTH flight crew and cabin crew. Simple...We need both and both are skilled. If you base whether someone is skilled or unskilled from a form, then that is your choice. I think actions speaks louder than words......written or spoken.

To do bring this whole discussion to basics, we are all doing a job...all jobs require certain skills. From a street sweeper to an astronaut, you still need skills to get the job done. Many you learn whilst on the job. Anyone who works will develop skills to complete their job. Simple........ Both of you are applauding yourselves on the fact that you\'ve defined skilled/unskilled........relook at this. You are just using another persons point of view to make an argument..afterall a form is just the reflection of another persons opinion.

Arm_Doors

Avg salary for junior CC at BA is stated as £15000. On average the take home wage is between £1400 and £1800.

I have one more point to make then I will go.

BA flight crew made a deal with mgmnt to take the hourly rate. Their basic wage was increased by 25%+. God knows what their hourly rate is......

CC will never get an offer like this (and we do not expect it...before you get all fired up) we are just looking for an offer that reflects the efforts that we put into working for this vast and good company. Flight crews cannot understand why we do not accept this hourly rate..well I do not accept that £1.98 and hour is any rate without an increase in my basic wage???? Put yourselves in our shoes...we stand to lose out...would you also agree to that.....it\'s over to you Jerry.