PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Jigsaw
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2004, 18:20
Mountainman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NLTTGITWOAGS, that's an interesting point you've made.
If you look through the earlier postings on this thread, you'll see what I think of Bond's legacy in Ireland.

If an outsider were to read this thread, they would probably think that some of us are a bit anti Bond but personally I wish them well.

My real problem is with BP.

I have seen what the major Oil Companies have done to the oil and gas side of the North Sea helicopter industry and it scares me to think that the same thing might happen in SAR.
There comes a point when the cost cannot be driven down any lower. All that happens is corners are cut and things go wrong.
Do the offshore workers really want to be flown to work in an aircraft that was chosen because it was operated by the cheapest company?.........I don't think so.

I don't think that either the CAA or the MCA will ultimately stand in Bond's way, because Bond will (given time) be able to demonstrate that they have approved equipment and "qualified" crews. I think Bond's ultimate hurdle will be to prove to the offshore workforce and more importantly the HSE that they can meet the performance standard ie recover 21 survivors from the water in less than 30 minutes, and that is where the paramedics or any inexperienced crewmen will suffer.

The HSE will be watching things very closely and the BP Safety Rep's are a pretty pro-active bunch, and they do read Pprune, so if I was running the show it's them I'd be worried about.
Sadly for the Bond lads they don't even know what they don't know.

As for my "Gladys Emmanuel" comment earlier, I apologise if it offended anybody. I'm afraid the paramedics have become political footballs, and if that doesn't sum up this fiasco, what does?