PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea Jigsaw
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2004, 11:23
[email protected]

Received 642 Likes on 281 Posts
Running In - you are absolutely correct, I don't think many of the wanabee winchmen realise what a physical and dangerous job it is - the only way to minimise the danger is to be fit and well trained. If you have ever tried to place a strop on a person in the water whilst wearing a rubber suit and being battered by waves and downwash you will know what I mean.
It's the whole point of the 'Rescue' in Search and Rescue because you have to extract the casualty from peril before you can weave your paramedic magic on them.

Nightwatchman - the MCA will have zero input - the UK SAR cover is already in place and the Jigsaw stuff is just an add-on for the rig areas. As for the CAA, I suspect their knowledge of SARops is less than encylopaedic and other than checking that the helos are being operated within the rules, won't give a t*ss who is dangling on the wire.

Bond wouldn't give a job to a very experienced SAR QHI, partly because he asked awkward questions about de-icing the helo during the winter and keeping it pointed into wind on the heli-deck. Other questions regarding rear-crew equipment were equally ignored so if the Operators haven't actually thought through the detail of the job then who will?