PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Justice for failed pilots?
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2004, 23:40
Nothing_but_blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been interested in reading this thread as we antipodeans have looked at streaming pilots for a while and thankfully we still have not gone down that road. Where we see similar problems is the difference between the Army and the Air Force. All three services attend BFTS on CT-4/B with the Navy and Air Force at the end of course, progressing to 2FTS on the PC-9/A. The Army on the other hand will go off and do their helo training. The problem lies in that the Army students at Tamworth (BFTS) are generally given a little more leeway as “we all know the standard doesn’t have to be as high” This obvious causes frustration and angst from both sides. 2FTS graduates a generally high level of student and the Air Force (and Navy) can be certain that the majority should be able to pass any operational conversion course, with the exception of fast jet. I think it works well.

I have always found the system often seems unfair at times (even ours and I think we actually reasonably good at giving the guys and girls a fair go.) but that’s life I am afraid. I have seen people scrubbed (chopped) that only a few years earlier would more than likely passed. Standards change all the time as do the Service’s needs. I guess the point is, if you are lucky enough (and good enough) to achieve what you want, to remember to try where possible to give the same opportunity to someone else, with in the confines of the requirements of the “Company”. Also, most who are scrubbed aren’t really told the full story or are slightly dillusionary which is part of the reason they got the chop anyway!!!! Seriously, often what seems unfair may in fact be far more reasonable than they realise.