PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which is the best helicopter for training?
Old 14th Oct 2004, 06:36
Whirlygig

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go for the R22. if will make you a better pilot.
Whoa.... Sweeping generalisation alert!!

The R22 will not necessarily make you a better pilot; that will be down to your attitude and that of your instructor.

There is only ONE reason why the ubiquitous Robbie is everywhere (if that's not a tortology!) and that is that it is CHEAP. It is the cheapest to buy and run; that is all. Nothing to do with it's suitability as a trainer.

if you ever want to pursue flying as a career, R22 exprience is more useful/sought-afer.
I was given the opposite advice; If you wish to pursue a flying career (and not just instructing), then the S300 was the better since it handles and feels like a bigger aircraft.

As far as I can see, there is only ONE reason to learn on a Robbie and that is because they are so available. Available for SFH, training, and if you wanted to be an instructor.

However, my hours in an R22 are still in single figures (about 50 times fewer than my S300 hours). So it's best to take advice from somebody who has flown both for some time. So perhaps respondents should just add at the bottom of their post what percentage of time they have in both?

Cheers

Whirlygig