PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EEG no longer required at initial JAA Class 1 (merged)
Old 12th Oct 2004, 21:38
gareth08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sharpey,

I have had to stand on the head of the CAA recently writing letters every couple of weeks. Basically the AME i talked to was very helpful. If you can get a consultant nerologist to examine you independently, they will reasses your case, depending on the outcome of the report from your neurologist, which needs to be favourable. You will need to contact the CAA first though.

There is a lot of evidence in current research papers out there to show that the EEG is not a terribly useful test in the context it was being used, which was the argument the CAA have used to drop it. They themselves from what i can deduce are very happy to see the back of it. They are published in a few different journals, get your neurologist to look into it. One very interesting paper was published by clark and riley (2001) entitled 'screening EEG in aircrew selection:clinical aerospace neurology perspective' published in aviation space and environmental medicine, vol 72 no 11 (2001). It makes some interesting reading and i would advise you send the reference onto a neurologist should you decide to contact one, so he/she can have a read at it.

Although, i do agree with you on the legal aspects. I recently had a chat with a friend of mine who is training as a barrister, who is absolutely gobsmacked. He reckons that now they've dropped the EEG, they have left themselves open for hanging!!, or as he put it - a judicial review. He listed after looking through a few legal books of his at least 4 different grounds the aviation authorities could be sued on!

However only time will tell in the meantime,

Best wishes!!