PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checklists! when, where is there overkill?
Old 12th Oct 2004, 01:56
Willie Nelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CASA, like it or not, has mandated the use of AFM checklists in Australia today. While in practice (right or wrong) many operators, both flying schools and other organisations use their own type of checklist. IMO this is because in many GA aircraft the checklists are ridiculously long and in the case of the Pa-31 series for example, were simply not designed for use in this fashion. These type of "checklists" do not distinguish between memory recall items and checks and additionally add substantial instructional material (such as what speed to rotate at till what height, etc).

Having said that remember it is the one day that you are in crappy weather, a vaguely similar aircraft type (206/210 or archer/ arrow) distracted on the radio, tired ,etc. that law of averages will catch up with you!

Piper, in many of their aircraft, have pre-landing checks listed on the coping (eg, near the fuel gauges etc) These checks are usually brief and referenced directly from the AFM making them legal and very useful. Other CHECKS, like after start and pre take off I did from a written list having previously actioned the items. Reading the instructions included on manufacturers checks doesn't take that long and if it saves you from looking the fool once a year, its a good system.

IMO, I do believe that it must be written, not only does it reduce the chance of anything being missed, it is a specific cockpit task that you remember having looked at when you float for that second too long that saves you having to look back at the green lights. Much the same as multi crew pilots specifically stating "pre landing checks complete" You have put the gear down and seen the lights a million times but with those words having just been stated 60 seconds ago by the non flying pilot you know its all squared away.

The only time I use a memory checklist (as opposed to memory recall actions) is my walkaround, This is not a daily inspection, it simply checks that all doors are closed, caps are on, chocks are away, etc. There is seven items for this on my current aircraft, it takes about eight to ten seconds to complete, it is well worth the peace of mind.

Willie