PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas London base
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2004, 12:33
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L2P. If I can offer some (probably unwanted) advice. I can understand your bitterness, but showing it on a daily basis isn't going to help your cause. There has to be a balance in trying to persuade people- highlight the negatives, sure, but try and induce people rather than scare them.
Hugh:
I am concerned that other FAAA members may view me as some sort of scab or underminer of our working conditions I don\'t see it that way . I just want to fly out of europe and have some fun!
Then why not move there and join a European carrier? That way, you can live in Europe and not help destroy yet another set of working conditions for Australians. When you get back from LHR in 2 years, will the job be worth returning to? What flying will be left, if your level of self-interest is displayed by all?
Arm Doors;
I think perhaps we need to concentrate on ensuring the conditions are appropriate rather than attacking those who want to go.
I think that some people are losing sight of the fact that this is a money saving activity. Why not send QF staff on equivalent conditions to, say, same-seniority BA staff? Because they can get a small number of the pie-eyed types who "just want to work in Europe without taking a risk", then hire some new people (Brits) who "just want to fly" for peanuts to fill the gap. It is an attack on your working conditions , pure and simple. How, exactly, can you bargain effectively? If the base went ahead on, say, BA terms and conditions, it simply wouldn't be viable for QF to do it. The only way it will go ahead is if it saves QF money. That means losing T&Cs, no matter how you cut it. There is no 'middle ground'.

This is a gem, from galley_gossip;
We need to be securing the double-decker airbus for us,and securing the A330 international for us, not striking over a base in Lhr. It seems (by the memos from Ms Grant) the company is willing to offer those things
So, long haul F/As need to bargain away T&Cs, to ensure that long haul flying is performed by long haul F/As?
Shouldn't your position be something like.....
If the company wants to take any action to increase productivity (such as re-arranging who does what flying), then we need to share in the rewards (and be granted some security)? Why do F/As need to go cap-in-hand just to keep what they have?

QF is making record profits . Mr. Dixon made six and one-half MILLION DOLLARS last year. I'd be asking different questions, if I was you. Like; where's mine?