PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Australia Interviews - Anyone heard back yet?
Old 10th Oct 2004, 16:06
ShesGreatintheGalley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This week, I also find out (all of this from consistently reliable sources) that some of my fellow Jetstar crew (who have been flying as long as I have, some of them longer) were invited to assessment centres. On top of this, some of them were offered secondment positions...
i got VERY excited when i received these emails and phone calls as i thought 'this could be my ticket out'. Too good to be true obviosuly so mabye i can make you feel a little better Mr Seatback....

Alot of us received phone calls and emails for 'Permanent Full time' positions and were also told it was for 'Longhaul' and that 'It was an internal recruitment only, you have to work for a subsidary company of QF to apply. and yes, sure Jetstar is fine.'

After hearing lots of rumors about contract interviews being held the same day, i call HR back to confirm it is indeed a PERMANENT FULL TIME POSITION as i was assured it was twice on the telephone previously.
HR lady umms and ahhs then finally tells me that no, its contract work not permanent, but mabye i should go to the interview anyway incase i change my mind. She was almost begging.
i explained to her that i would have to be stupid to be giving up a full time position with benefits in order to go for an 11 month contract as a strikebreaker then end up with no job at all and no hope of probably getting my old one back. She still invited me along if i did reconsider... seemed quite desperate for me to go regardless of how i felt actually.

Have also heard another employee received an email and two phone calls offering him a secondment to SH for approx 12 months, with a guarantee to return to Jetstar afterward. Obviously he became very excited at the chance.. so excited he fogot to ask them a few questions. Called them back 15 mins later and spoke to a different person who informed him that there were 'no secondments, only 5 and 11 month contracts that needed filling, and yes, his name had been written down under the contract interviews' Thinking it must be a mistake he confirmed to the man he had only received a phone call 15 mins prior and they def. stated a secondment. again, the man assured him that the only interviews being held that they know of are for contract work, and that internal staff are also being offered that position. There are no secondments being offered in writing at all.

The fact that QF are blatantly lying to us in an effort to get attendance at these interviews REALLY annoys and upsets me.
I went out and rebooked in for a First Aid course etc in the hope that i was going for an interview for a permanent, full time position. How can they get away with this? Isnt it illegal or something to falsely advertise a position that is not being offered? Are they really that desperate for more strike breakers that they are attempting to deceive internal staff with hopes of full time permanent employment or secondments just to get their attendance at interviews???

I almost want to go to this interview now just so i can watch all the subsidary staff walk out when told that the position is only contract work and that after that they will have no job with Qantas at all, and will have sacrificed years of senority and hard work to get somewhere in the company for 11 months as a strike breaker. The only really sad thing is that the people that dont know this and will have wasted so much time preparing for an interview that wont deliver what they were promised.

pathetic...