PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Australia Interviews - Anyone heard back yet?
Old 10th Oct 2004, 14:03
Mr Seatback 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know about anyone else on here, but I'm sick of the whole thing.

You read me - sick of it. Especially, sick of the way QF are treating people, in particular staff from subsidiary carriers.

I was on the shortlist for 16 months (approx), only to be told 'thanks but no thanks' like all the other shortlisters. Fair enough - don't have to like it, but that's life.

I then find out (from friends, some of whom are in the same boat as me) that colleagues of theirs within QF are currently working as Long Haul crew on secondment from their jobs within QF. Good on em I say - maybe next time for me??

This week, I also find out (all of this from consistently reliable sources) that some of my fellow Jetstar crew (who have been flying as long as I have, some of them longer) were invited to assessment centres. On top of this, some of them were offered secondment positions...

But wait for it...

In almost all circumstances, their staffcv applications had 'QantasLink' as their employer (which, 5 months ago, was true). When these fellow crew, out of courtesy, said "oh, by the way, my company has changed to Jetstar"...the response is..

"Oh. Well then, you won't be offered a secondment. Bye"

This, combined with the fact that since we became Jetstar we effectively LOST half of our staff travel privileges, has meant that morale and motivation are words with no meaning for many long serving and once-dedicated crew at Jetstar.

We are paid lip service and given very little by way of recognition, support or even encouragement.

When we complain, we are usually told:

"You should thank yourselves lucky you even have jobs"

WHY? We were the reason Jetstar managed to start up inside 6 months, AND the reason why the new low-cost airline managed to make a profit just 3 months after startup (when the budget forecasted it would take 18 months!).

We went from full service carrier to low cost airline overnight on May 24, and we've been giving it our best shot - for what?! Recognition? Pay? HA!

NOW - we find out we're not good enough to go across to the mainline carrier (we were 5 months ago at least!)

Sigh. And Qantas and Jetstar can't work out why it's staff (or more to the point, it's crew) are so unhappy.

Rant over.