PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some of our test pilots are missing
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2004, 15:44
idle stop

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There are probably more of us on these forums than is obvious, so, I'll also come clean, though it's fairly obvious from some of my posts.
As for SETP, it is a wonderful institution, though sadly a more closed shop than some of the membership would want: you can still only apply for membership when actively engaged in test flying. I've been a member since 1989 and attended 7 European conferences, though I've yet to make it to the annual Californian bash. When I worked for a large UK heli operator, the company was generous enough to part sponsor me and or to count my attendence as 'duty' rather than leave, though company economies whittled the sponsorship away! Now I'm an independent I have to count the dollars myself, and finding time to attend conferences is sometimes taking out time when one could be earning. As to the 'Rotes' contributions to SETP proceedings, perhaps we're all too busy working to get round to producing papers! (Though I did manage one at a previous year's Eurobash.) I don't feel there's a bias against us; at least one recent SETP President, Lynn Hanks, is a helicopter man. And ETPS has for the past few years sent its whole rotary staff and students to the European Symposium.
It's good that such experienced hands as Nick and Shawn can regularly find the time to contribute to PPrune. Keep up the good work, chaps!