PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is instructing time really worth ??
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2004, 04:49
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With all the caveats about brand new pilots instructing etc I believe the following...having 'instructed' for a VERY brief period early on.

A little bit of instructing is good. Unless you really want to be an instructor forever get out as quick as you can manage. Long term instructors are NOT experienced pilots they are experienced instructors.

My Instructors Rating and the 100 odd hrs of ab-initio/nav/aeros certainly made me a more obvious candidate for C&T later on...when I actually had the experience to pass on.

3 or 5 or 16000 hrs of ab inition/PPL/CPL Nav is NOT the same as 3 or 5 or 16000 hrs of single pilot VFR/IFR charter/RPT ops in a wide variety of single and multi engine/multi crew operations.

In a perfect world most instructors would have the 3 or 5 or 16000 hrs of wide ranging experience BEFORE becoming instructors but that is rare....outside of airline retirees (should be more of it...actively encouraged by CASA).

These are the reasons why many airlines/charter operators don't like lots of time instructing and they're not completely invalid reasons.