PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CSD's salary revealed in Daily telegraph
Old 5th Oct 2004, 21:27
overstress

PPRuNe Person

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No-one would deny that Kegworth was a defining moment in aviation history. However the thread is about CSD's salary, so I will resume the flow of postings.

The point made by the poster above reinforces the reason that cc are on board, it is for the safety of the pax. Anything else is a bonus. So in the light of that, salaries at BA's level are unsustainably high. They should be compared to the market rate. The average BA cc costs the company approx 10k per annum more than the next nearest employer (My Travel). (Source: CAA website) There are very few airlines in which cc consider they might have a 30yr career, cabin crew is seen as a short-term, low-paid option (similar to the catering trade) for a few years that people choose for other reasons than salary. After a while, reality bites and female cc get married then pregnant, then leave the job permanently.

This whole thread is based on the premise that at BA, this argument is not the case and cc in many instances are being paid more than the far more highly qualified pilots.

All this talk of deserving the money for having years of abuse thrown at them ignores the fact that in most other companies there are very few cc over the age of 30.

(steps back with fingers in ears)

PS: for those about to flame me I am just off on leave for 2 weeks to a place far from the internet so save your fingers