PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checklists! when, where is there overkill?
Old 5th Oct 2004, 16:26
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hudson

A very good example of the overcomplicating stupidity that has overtaken much of GA...at the insistance of CASA most of the time.

A C441 I used to fly had one...ex RFDS aeroplane. I found it to be a major distraction to use and some of the items on it completely stupid....like 'reduce to xxxx lbs TQ at TOPD' or something similar...I mean really!!! I ended up flying that aircraft for the best part of a year and about 300 hrs with no (written) checklists at all...just geographic scans at various points in the flight and a PUFF check turning finals. I did have written checklists for things that were not done every flight...like NTS system checks etc.

All SE piston powered aircraft are essentially identical...and I mean ALL.

If we ask ourselves what items can really hurt me..and therefore should be on some kind of checklist it comes down to trims/prop/undercarriage/fuel and flaps.

Even the old faithfulls like TEMPFISCH and BUMPFISCH, which are excellent, are essentially overkill in a typical Piper or Cessna...none the less they form all the checklists you will EVER need in any and every piston single or twin.

Do we need checklist items like landing lights/check windsock/park brake/beacon/strobes/set QNH and on and on?

I would argue not...but then CASA disagrees with me and all CFIs must do as Cretins Against Sensible Aviation decree.

If the park brake was off enough for you to takeoff (and you haven't fecked with it since) it should be off enough for you to land.

Oil T&Ps need to be on a checklist? not really..part of a scan yes.

Was a time when we were taught in such a way (well I was anyway) that we could hop in whatever we were pointed at, within the bounds of group endorsements, and blast off safely without a written checklist in sight.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 6th Oct 2004 at 01:13.