PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checklists! when, where is there overkill?
Old 4th Oct 2004, 02:53
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ultralights

Unless I missunderstood you you are using a checklist for the walk around preflight?

This is not what airline pilots do...I don't have a written list in my hand while doing the preflight on a 767...I have a torch. I have never used a written checklist to do a walk around ever...well except for my first three flying lessons in the C152 and on the third my instructor took it off me and wouldn't give it back

Same thing happened with preflight cockpit set up...then he showed me the geographical method...that has worked on every aeroplane since...including the 767.

I know CASA 'require' written checklists for everybloodything these days but that, IMHO, is just one of the glaring (ar$ecovering) failures of CASA.

Pneumonics such as TEMPFICH, PUFF etc are just as much checklists as written pages and far more valid in most, if not all, GA aircraft.

Checklists are NOT DOlists! A geographic or phase of flight specific scan is followed by the checklist or pneumonic to ensure nothing IMPORTANT has been missed. You should NOT be using a checklist for gear extension as an example. It should happen at a specific part of the approach. I use passing abeam the landing threshold in my Bonanza...ALWAYS...if on a straight in approach the gear goes down at 1500' agl (same in the 767 BTW). The two actions are connected in my mind to such an extent that it's almost impossible to do one and not the other...and on finals a quick PUFF check catches any stuff ups before they become expensive.

You would have a difficult time believing how few checklists we have in Boeings and how short they are. We do entire scans with no checklist backup at all, such as entering the runway/lining up, Transition level passing, after landing. They are all situation specific scans done from (muscle) memory...one pilot does the scan and the other pilot quietly checks it's been done.

We have checklists to ensure things that will kill you (Like flaps, trims) are set properly and they are also backed up by configuration warnings in the EICAS system that will catch any gross, repeated forgotten items.

The only paper, written checklist on the Boeings is one laminated page with several checklists, each of about four to six items, for things like preflight, before engine start, securing etc. These are actioned from memory and then read by one pilot while the other looks to see they are done and responds appropriately. The Boeing pre takeoff checklist has one, yes 1, item...FLAPS...although the airline I work for has shoved a whole 3 more items on it covering cabin ready, departure review etc

Over the years lots of things we allegedly do in the airlines have crept into GA. In almost all cases they have been missunderstood and missapplied.