PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tell me if I'm wrong,
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2004, 09:23
DEOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Sioux City accident would in all likelihood have been a total disaster, had it not been for one of the passengers. He was a United Airlines DC10 Instructor and it was TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE and EXPERTISE that saved the day for most of the crew and passengers.

Quote:
"It just so happened that there was a United Airlines DC-10 pilot instructor sitting in first class. He asked if he could be of any assistance and the captain asked him to see if there was any damage that he could see. The instructor found that the flight controls on the wings weren’t moving and that the horizontal stabilizer had damage to the left and right side. Now that they definitely knew they didn’t have any flight controls the crew began to discuss what ways the aircraft could be maneuvered."

Clearly, it was not a simple case of loss of hydraulics. Furthermore, having attended one of Captain Al Haynes's talks some years ago before his death, it is clear that through a multitude of factors, technical knowledge stands out.

As for facts that prove anyone wrong; that is not the intention. Before any of you lose control of yourselves again, read THIS report and then formulate your replies in such a fashion, so as to keep our profession out of the gutter.

In reply to another question: as a professional pilot my job does involve more than flying from A to B and back again. My job involves constant vigilance against failure or mishap. My job involves learning, teaching, managing, excercising, practising and improving, plus many other aspects which I simply don't have time to cover here today.

Regards

DEOne
Keeping aviation out of the trash can!!!