PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Silverstone GP Heli Ops
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2004, 16:23
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headsethair

My attempt at irony obviously failed.
You're not partly American are you?
I meant they were wrapped up in going motor-racing (a passion for the sport); he set up the schemes to make his fortune out of the sport.

(Still nothing to do with the Ecclestone v BRDC dispute.)

Sid
A businessman could answer your question about where the money goes far better than I can. Costs which occur to me off the top of my head include:
providing the infrastructure for a Grand Prix (and not just for the public days at the weekend),
wages of additional security/medical/emergency and other staff,
insurance premiums (especially public liability given the nature of the sport),
servicing the debts incurred in maintaining the circuit, constantly improving facilities, making changes required by F1.

Silverstone, like many other circuits, was a former wartime airfield. Whatever its shortcomings, compare its facilities with any of the other converted wartime airfields where virtually nothing is been spent other than on (occasionally) resurfacing the tarmac.
When I raced Formula Renault, we went around the various circuits as part of the Touring Cars 'circus'. Facilities at every other circuit varied between basic and non-existent, and even the track could have benefitted from resurfacing. egSnetterton, Thruxton, Pembrey. Brands was way ahead of the others, but still far behind Silverstone. It all costs major money.

The fact is the BRDC is a club, the objectives of which include promoting the interests of British motorsport, furthering the interests of British drivers competing abroad and giving financial assistance to young British 'stars of tomorrow' to help them further their driving careers.
I realise some people think such high ideals are old-fashioned and have no place in the modern world where 'sport' is now part of the multi-billion dollar entertainment business. They might think a club run by unpaid volunteers, whatever their or it's history, ought to face reality and give up trying to hold a Grand Prix in Britain because the club simply can't afford it.
Maybe they're right? It's an arguable point of view, and one which Bernie Ecclestone holds, but I'd be very sad to see it happen.