PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checklists! when, where is there overkill?
Old 2nd Oct 2004, 02:48
Ultralights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checklists! when, where is there overkill?

personally i am a big beliver in checklists!. i am only a ppl, with 500 odd hrs, and own my own aircraft. i regularly fly Piper arrows, archers, as well as the Jabiru and other ultralights. every time i fly any aircraft i will follow the checklists as i have a little pocket notebook with the checklists taken from the flight manuals of all the aircraft i am rated on.

last weekend, i took a trip to Maryborough to visit family, and decided it was a lovely day to fly, so i wandered off to the bundy and hired a Jabiru., now the ajbiru checklist is very short,
radios,transponder off
strobes, lights off
master on
fuel pump on
clear prop.
hit start.
pressures good,
lights on
radios etc on

and off we go.

my point is, before i could hire a jabiru, the CFI desired a checkride circuit before he would let me blast off in his plane, fair enough, but when i pulled my checklist, he got a little upset, and said, "looking at your logbook! why do you need a list for this?""

i replied, if its good enough for a 747 captain!........
he then gave me the whatever look with rolled eyeballs!

my checklist book also has in it emergency procedures as well as the usual inflight lists i dont usually pull the list out for landing checks etc.. only use it for startup, pre take off, and emergency simulating the rest is off by heart,

How often do you use checklist? when dont you use them? why and why not? do you use list like i do out of force of habbit?

be honest!...........