PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Floater Fields
Thread: Floater Fields
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2004, 23:21
stiknruda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh Sir George - you may have caught me out.

In my darker coloured Pitts - initially I would arrive at a flare speed before the threshold and grease her on within 150yards. It then transpired that after a year or two I could arrive at the threshold with speeds between x and y and still flare and not worry about using brakes to stop.

Then on a couple of occasions I totally got the wind wrong and landed downwind but with judicious use of controls and brakes had her stopped well within the strip boundary and was always prepared to hit the noise lever.

Sunday gone, I brought new toy home - had never landed this particular one before so worked real hard at nailing the speed (tadge above 80) and funny old thing, nil wind was stopped within 150yds again!

Flew her for her permit renewal later the same day and yet again at 80 she was down and stoped in no distance.

This obviously brings on the next bit - WHEN DO I START MY FLARE or rather where do I decide that I want my flare to start!

I aim to flare so that I will touchdown on the threshold.
However at a short strip this is important, it may have lesse r consequences if done elsewhere.

STik