PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air traffic in Norway halted - Oslo ACC to close (Merged)
Old 28th Sep 2004, 23:01
PropsAreForBoats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I copy my post from the Nordic Forum to this thread:

The controllers in Oslo CTL left work when news broke of the Norwegian CAA's recommendation to transfer all ATC in southern Norway to Stavanger CTL in 2008. All 110 ATC controller positions will be transferred to Stavanger, noone will be made redundant according to Avinor (Norw. CAA). The Control Center in Røyken outside Oslo (inaugurated in the mid-nineties) will be decommisioned.

This upset the controllers so much that they promptly left work around 10 am monday, claiming to be unfit for active duty. This effectively closed the airspace in Southern Norway, and created havoc for airlines and passengers alike. Oslo CTL only opened again tuesday morning at 0630, and then only at about 20% capacity, thus crippling traffic also today!

In my opinion an enormous overreaction by the controllers. They were notified that their positions will probably (the board's decision will fall in about a week) be moved to Stavanger in 4 years from now. Not terminated; moved. A reaction is only human, and they should of course not be on duty if not fit. But for 2 days? Come on! Take a break for an hour or two, talk it through with your collegues and then get back to work! That would be a tolerable reaction. But grounding all flights for a day and most flights the second day for such a reason is simply unforgiveable. If you are not fit to work again in reasonable time after receiving such a message, you are not fit for this job.

The Røyken-boys and -girls need a serious reality check. Take a look at how many in the aviation business have lost their jobs the last 3 years, and how many have lived with the threat (myself included). I have collegues who have been fired and have left for Singapore, Bosnia, Spain and god knows where to find a job (flying rubber dog **** etc.) - they worked 6 months notice without calling a single day sick; you are notified that your job will be moved to Stavanger (in the same country, mind you!) in 4 years from now- and you disrupt the entire air traffic in southern Norway for 2 days (and counting)!?! Our airlines are struggling back on their feet and you cause them losses of several millions!

I am not saying Avinor's recommendation is the correct one, or that there is nothing wrong with the process leading up to this. But even so this kind of reaction is not even close to being justified.