PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retainment or recruitment?
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2004, 13:09
fuzzmaster

My high academic grades are AAAA at A-level in math, physics, technology and As-further math.
Jackonicko: How does 'claiming' to have turned down a scholarship prove i have not got the right stuff.
Yes my written english is not the best on this forum but my faith is certainly not misplaced. I was commited during my CCF time i did/applied for evey course i could, including a gliding scholarship and the cadet leadership course both of which i passed (oh and if i forgot to say i was recommended to go on to train for my gold wings).
Training Risky: I have already addressed your concern for my grades. I am not moaning or whinging but why not change the recruitment system? Why not offer more support or career guidance? Do not forget that at the age of 17 the prospect of any long term commitment is daunting. I mean at Univeristy you have UAS and they meet once a week and their members talk to their Officers about a balance between study and UAS time so why not talk to them before they go to uni.
I am not alone in this, an officer from Loughborough Uni came down to my school on a recruitment visit. His told me to do what i wanted to at uni and not get over committed with UAS because at the end of the day the RAF had already recruited me and the focus was on those who had not yet been recruited.

At the end of the day i held up my hand and said the RAF is not for me, i am not trying to moan or make excuses as many others complete their scholarships and enjoy them, but i did not and wanted to express my opinion. I wanted to fly more than most but i could not join the armed forces, you may say if you wanted to fly so much why did you not just put up with the way of life. The answer is that i could not.