PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retainment or recruitment?
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2004, 10:51
fuzzmaster

Lightbulb Retainment or recruitment?

Whilst there has been a lot in the news over recent years about air crew shortages the focus was on experienced pilots leaving the service.
With this in mind you would expect the RAF to have a large recruitment drive.
I was lucky enough to be awarded a sixth form scholarship and subject to grades a university bursary, needless to say i was stoked.
Having obtained a scholarship i expected the local careers office would be in close contact and at the start they were and there was a photo shoot for the local papers etc. Since then the only contact i have had from the RAF is an a-level grade request form.
I applied for a flying scholarship but was put the reserves list, so i have not flown for a year despite being a memeber of CCF.
I lost intrest in the RAF and declined the scholarship and i dont think that i am the only one.
The point being there was so much that they could have done which would have kept me interested and keen.
I just think that maybe the recruiters need to change the way they recruit, especially when you compare what some companies are offering students/graduates.